Potato and Turnip Dauphinoise
Mixing turnips with potatoes for this classic dish. A really simple method full of garlicky goodness and a hint of mustard to get stuck into!
Serves 4 - 6
- 300g Turnips peeled and thinly sliced.
- 500g Potatoes peeled and thinly sliced. I used the wide hole on my box grater for both vegetables but a mandolin is ideal
- 450g double cream
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC and rub the gratin dish with the butter.
- In a large bowl mixed together the cream, garlic, dijon mustard and nutmeg.
- Toss the turnips and potato into the mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer it up inside the dish, spreading them as flat and evenly as possible.
- Bake for 1hr - 1h 15 min in the centre of the oven.
- Every 15 minutes or so, press down the top layer with a spatula so that the juices rise and coat the top layer ensuring that it doesn't dry out.
- When top layer is golden brown, take it out of the oven and leave it to stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.