Crunchy Spring Wraps
01 Feb 2016
This is an even healthier take on the Vietnamese fresh roll plus it’s a fun way to use up those spring greens. They make a great starter or snack.
- Handful of mangetout, julienne
- 2 medium carrots, julienne
- 3 spring onions, julienne
- Small bunch of radishes, finely sliced
- Small handful of coriander, finely chopped
- Block of tempeh, sliced into 1cm thick strips or thinly sliced chicken breast
Wraps: 1 to 2 heads of spring greens
Sauce: Soy sauce Rice wine vinegar sesame oil
- Mix 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp rice wine vinegar and a dash of honey or sugar. Marinate the tempeh or chicken in this for 10-30 mins.
- Finely slice all the veg into long strips, apart from the spring greens – these will be your wraps! Combine all veg for the filling together in the bowl and coat with 2 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp vinegar & 1 tsp sesame oil.
- Prepare your “wraps” by removing the spring green leaves whole and blanching them in boiling water for 30mins. Leave to drain and cool in a colander.
- Sautee the tempeh or chicken on med-high heat for 5-10 minutes, until cooked through and browned.
- Now the fun part – rolling them. Combine the tempeh/chicken with the other filling ingredients and place about 2 spoonfuls onto each spring green leaf about an inch above the base of the leaf. Fold the sides in around the filling and roll it up. Secure in place with a toothpick if necessary. Repeat until you’ve run out of leaves or filling.
- Serve cold, with dipping sauces, like spicy sriracha, oyster sauce or miso dressing.
Sides & snacks